Monday, August 22, 2016

Review: A Beautiful Funeral by Jamie McGuire


Name: A Beautiful Funeral (the Maddox Brothers 5, Beautiful 3)
Author: Jamie McGuire
Published: August 15, 2016



Amazon


Losing has never been easy for a Maddox, but death always wins. 

Eleven years to the day after eloping in Vegas with Abby, Special Agent Travis Maddox delivers his own brand of vigilante justice to mob boss Benny Carlisi. Vegas's oldest and most violent crime family is now preparing for vengeance, and the entire Maddox family is a target. 

The secret Thomas and Travis have kept for a decade will be revealed to the rest of the family, and for the first time the Maddoxes will be at odds. While none of them are strangers to loss, the family has grown, and the risk is higher than ever. With brothers against brothers and wives taking sides, each member will make a choice—let the fear tear them apart, or make them stronger.


“Stay together. Love one another. I mean it, damn it.”


OMFG!! You guys should go a pick the damn book up!

The book starts after 11 years from the other books. It has multiple POVs, which great. It is really fast to read. It's only, ONLY, 25 chapters.
This is the end of all the Maddox brothers, I think. It gets since the first line. I almost forgot, we have tons of characters in this books!

NOW, I'm gonna write lots of SPOILERS, so if you don't want to read and spoiled yourself I highly recommend you to leave.


You're warned SPOILER ALERT



So, it all start with Thomas having to fake his own death to keep the Maddox fam alive. Only Travis, Liis and Abby know about the plan.

Meanwhile this happen, we have the others Maddoxes with their own problems such as: Falyn and Taylor are NOT together because of Taylor jealousy; and Camille and Trent don't have a child, no matter how hard they try. The good thing is that the rest of them (Tyler/Ellie, Shep/Mare, Travis/Abby) are okay with their spouses.


Abby's pregnant with Travis' third child, Carter, besides Jessica and James. Shep and Mare have three kids: Eli, Emerson and Ezra. Taylor and Falyn have two: Hadley and Hollis. Tyler and Ellie have one: Gavin. And Liis and Thomas have one: Stella.

Travis tells his family that he works for the FBI, and also was Thomas, and that's how he got shot. Trent and Taylor got angry for not telling them, and later Shep join them. When Liis arrives at Jim's, she also tells that she works for the FBI and announces that Thomas has died.

After a few weeks, Thomas appeared in his dad's house saying that what he did was to protected of the family from Benny's daughter. Val, an agent and Liis bbf, tells Tommy that Carlisi’s bodyguard, Chiara, is in the town looking for them.

“Everyone all right?” I yelled. I looked at Dad, and he nodded. I patted him on the shoulder. “Once a cop…”
“Always a cop,” Dad grunted, pushing himself up off the ground.

In that moment, someone started shooting towards them, and Olive was shot and die, protecting Stella. Chiara kills Jim.

Dad smiled. “I’m pretty tired. And I’d really like to see your mom.”

In the last pages we see how Jim reunited with Diane, and he sees their kids saying their goodbyes to him.

I sat in the back row of the auditorium, watching my sons prepare to say their goodbyes to me. Olive’s funeral was the day before, and they all looked weary and heartbroken. I wanted nothing more than to hold them and help them through their heartbreak, but it was the one time I couldn’t be there for them.

We also read how Jim and Diane were when she was pregnant with each of the boys.



I really liked this book, I thought, before reading ABF, that only Jim would die, I didn't expect Olive dying, I didn't remember her as well. Btw, the last chapter was my fave, most of all because we see how the Maddoxes were like when they were kids, and how Tommy was. I love see that the couples had changed, and how supportive they are to each other.

MY FAVOURITE SO FAR!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't remember Olive, either, and then I finally made the connection that she was the little girl in Trenton and Cami's book, and almost started crying. She was such a sweet character.

    ReplyDelete