Thursday, August 18, 2016

Review: It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover

Name: It Ends With Us
Author: Colleen Hoover
Published: August 2, 2016






Amazon          Book Depository


Lily hasn’t always had it easy, but that’s never stopped her from working hard for the life she wants. She’s come a long way from the small town in Maine where she grew up—she graduated from college, moved to Boston, and started her own business. So when she feels a spark with a gorgeous neurosurgeon named Ryle Kincaid, everything in Lily’s life suddenly seems almost too good to be true.

Ryle is assertive, stubborn, maybe even a little arrogant. He’s also sensitive, brilliant, and has a total soft spot for Lily. And the way he looks in scrubs certainly doesn’t hurt. Lily can’t get him out of her head. But Ryle’s complete aversion to relationships is disturbing. Even as Lily finds herself becoming the exception to his “no dating” rule, she can’t help but wonder what made him that way in the first place.

As questions about her new relationship overwhelm her, so do thoughts of Atlas Corrigan—her first love and a link to the past she left behind. He was her kindred spirit, her protector. When Atlas suddenly reappears, everything Lily has built with Ryle is threatened.


Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming


I finished this book just a few hours ago and the only I can say is that IT WAS GREAT!
I was a little nervous before I read this book because I knew it was totally different from what I've read from Colleen.
If you're a CoHo fan, you know how Colleen writes, but in this book is totally unexpected! It is an eternal rollercoaster, and you'll laugh and you'll cry.
If you haven't read yet, you must go and pick this amazing book



SPOILERS START NOW! 


“You can stop swimming now, Lily. We finally reached the shore.”

Where do I have to sign to get someone who can turn this in a movie? That was my first thought after six hours of reading this masterpiece.

I thought I was going to fell for Ryle, I really did ship them, and liked him, past tense, until he slammed Lily and she did nothing but blame herself.

It Ends With Us starts with Ryle, a neurosurgeon, a Lily met in Ryle's sister's roof. They started talking, and Ryle tells Lily that doesn't want a girlfriend or children. When the night ends, they go and never see each other.
Six months later, Lily opens a floral shop and hires Alyssa, whose Ryle's sister but Lily didn't know. Ryle and Lily start dating and eventually, get married.

While the story develops, Lily allows us to get a glimpse from her past by reading some journals she wrote addressed to Ellen Degeneres. Those she wrote every night sinve her father started hitting her mother. And also, she wrote about Atlas, the homeless boy she felt in love with when she was a teenager.
She discoveres that Atlas is a successful chef with his own business, and he lives in Boston. He tells her to leave Ryle.

Lily starts living the same way her mom lived with her father. A husband who hits his wife, and the wife does nothing about it. Lily had always thought that it was easy leave an abusive relationship, until she found herself involved into one.
Each time that Ryle hit her, she tried to excused him, maybe it was the wine, because she ran after him or because he loves her so much.
Until one day, Ryle try to rape her and she decides that too much and calls Atlas to help her. Atlas helps her and takes her to a hospital, where they discover that she's pregnant.

Ryle decides to go to England to study for three months. So, Lily goes to their apartment, and leave Atlas behind. Ryle returns before the day, and Lily tells him she's pregnant, he gives her space and Lily stays in the apartment by herself.

In the last weeks of her pregnancy, Lily talks to Ryle, telling him she's not sure about their relationship and they talk about the baby. They get alone, Ryle helps her with everything and anything.

Once the baby is born, Lily asked Ryle the divorce and he accepted.

“Ryle,” I say gently. “What would you do? If one of these days, this little girl looked up at you and she said, ‘Daddy? My boyfriend hit me.’ What would you say to her, Ryle? [...] What if she came to you and said, ‘Daddy? My husband pushed me down the stairs. He said it was an accident. What should I do?’  [...] What if... What if she came to you and said, ‘My husband tried to rape me, Daddy. He held me down while I begged him to stop. But he swears he’ll never do it again. What should I do, Daddy?’  [...] What would you say to her, Ryle? Tell me. I need to know what you would say to our daughter if the man she loves with all her heart ever hurts her.”
A sob breaks from his chest. He leans toward me and wraps an arm around me. “I would beg her to leave him, [...] I would tell her that she is worth so   much more. And I would beg her not to go back, no matter how much he loves her. She’s worth so much more.”

The last pages, we see that Emmy, Ryle and Lily's daughter, is 11 months old, and she is about to spend the day with her daddy. Lily is getting there when she crushed a man and he is Atlas.

I’m out of breath, panting and nervous. “I forgot to tell you Emerson’s middle name.”[...] It’s Dory.”
His mouth twitches like he’s forcing back a smile. “What a perfect name for her.”


I'm in love with this book!! Once i got it, I couldn't let it go. So, after this review, I have to say my favourite scene, and a part of any scene where Atlas was, it was when Lily talks to her mom her doubts about getting back Ryle or not, that scene really got me. I liked that Lily decided to named her baby girl after Ryle's bother, Emerson

“Don’t be like me, Lily. I know that you believe he loves you, and I’m sure he does. But he’s not loving you the right way. He doesn’t love you the way you deserve to be loved. If Ryle truly loves you, he wouldn’t allow you to take him back. He would make the decision to leave you himself so that he knows for a fact he can never hurt you again. That’s the kind of love a woman deserves, Lily.”

2 comments:

  1. “Life is a funny thing. We only get so many years to live it, so we have to do everything we can to make sure those years are as full as they can be. We shouldn’t waste time on things that might happen someday, or maybe even never.” - It Ends With Us

    Luzia
    Motorcycle Accident Lawyers

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever find yourself in a place to fall in love again,
    fall in love with me, Lily.

    ReplyDelete